Friday, August 28, 2009

British English vs. Malaysian English

>> British English vs. Malaysian English
>>
>> Who says our English is teruk? Just read
>> below - Ours is simple, short, concise,
>> straight-to-the-point, effective etc.
>>
>>
>> WHEN GIVING A CUSTOMER BAD NEWS
>> Britons: I'm sorry, sir, but we
>> don't seem to have the sweater you want in your size,
>> but if you give me a moment, I can call the other outlets
>> for you.
>>
>> Malaysians: No stock.
>>
>>
>> RETURNING A CALL
>> Britons: Hello, this is John Smith. Did
>> anyone call for me a few moments ago?
>>
>> Malaysians: Hello, who call?
>>
>>
>> ASKING SOMEONE TO MAKE WAY
>> Britons: Excuse me, I would like to get by.
>> Would you please make way?
>>
>> Malaysians: S-kew me.
>>
>>
>> WHEN SOMEONE OFFERS TO PAY
>> Britons: Hey! Put your wallet away, this
>> drink is on me.
>>
>> Malaysians: No need lah.
>>
>>
>> WHEN ASKING FOR PERMISSION
>> Britons: Excuse me, but do you think it
>> would be possible for me to enter through this door?
>>
>> Malaysians: (pointing at the door) Can ah?
>>
>>
>> WHEN ENTERTAINING
>> Britons: Please make yourself right at
>> home.
>>
>> Malaysians: No need shy shy one lah!
>>
>>
>> WHEN DOUBTING SOMEONE
>> Britons: I don't recall you giving me
>> the money.
>>
>> Malaysians: Where got?
>>
>>
>> WHEN DECLINING AN OFFER
>> Britons: I would prefer not to do that, if
>> you don't mind.
>>
>> Malaysians: Don't want lah.
>>
>>
>> IN DISAGREEING ON A TOPIC OF DISCUSSION
>> Britons: Err...Tom, I have to stop you
>> there. I understand where you're coming from, but I
>> really have to disagree with what you said about the issue.
>>
>> Malaysians: You mad ah?
>>
>>
>> WHEN ASKING SOMEONE TO LOWER THEIR VOICE.
>> Britons: Excuse me, but could you please
>> lower your voice? I'm trying to concentrate over here.
>>
>> Malaysians: Shut up lah!
>>
>>
>> WHEN ASKING SOMEONE IF HE/SHE KNOWS YOU.
>> Britons: Excuse me, but I noticed you
>> staring at me for sometime. Do I know you?
>>
>> Malaysians: See what, see what?
>>
>>
>> WHEN ASSESSING A TIGHT SITUATION.
>> Britons: We seem to be in a bit of a
>> predicament at the moment.
>>
>> Malaysians: Die lah!!
>>
>>
>> WHEN TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT HAD HAPPENED
>> Britons: Will someone tell me what has just
>> happened?
>>
>> Malaysians: What happened ah? Why like that
>> one lah?
>>
>>
>> WHEN SOMEONE DID SOMETHING WRONG
>> Britons: This isn't the way to do it.
>> Here, let me show you.
>>
>> Malaysians: Like that also don't know
>> how to do!
>>
>>
>> WHEN ONE IS ANGRY
>> Britons: Would you mind not disturbing me?
>>
>> Malaysians: Celaka you!
>>
>>
>>
>> So which would you prefer? Send this to
>> your Malaysian friends and let them have a laugh too. Good
>> day!


haha.. i think a lot of us use that kind of words.. haha.. what do u guys think? hurm...


peace for the world<3

No comments:

Post a Comment